List:       c-client
Subject:    RE: Saving sent mail
From:       "Mark Elvers" <mark.elvers () telerian ! net>
Date:       2000-10-25 11:45:02

In a way I would agree with this as I always use IMAP/SMTP over low speed
dialup connections - and I use a laptop, so need to access my email when
offline.  I have written a mail program using c-client which synchronizes my
IMAP mailbox with a local offline copy (stored using my own indexed
database) and I use the rfc822_output() followed by a mail_append() full
method of maintaining a "Sent Items" list

When I send an email, I upload it to the SMTP server (transfer 1), then
upload it again to the IMAP server (transfer 2), then when I perform a
mailbox synchronization of all my folders, I download the message again
(transfer 3).  This is not a problem for most messages (typically a few KB),
but when it's a 1MB message and I'm using my cell phone at 9.6kb...

I thought of updating my local offline copy of the mailbox directly - as I
know what the contents of the message will be - I can predict the UID that
will be assigned by the IMAP server from the next UID information, or I
could get a list of messages in the mailbox after I've uploaded it hence get
the UID.  The problem with both these methods is that they are not full
proof for the case where a message from "another source" is delivered to
this folder at the same time.  In the first option, the query for next UID
and the upload of the message is not atomic operation, in the second option,
if there is more than one new message when I query the folder after the
upload, I won't know which one is the message that I uploaded!

Anyway, even if there is a solution for the above (?), I am still required
to upload the message twice -  once for SMTP and once for IMAP and all I'm
doing is improving the profit forecast of mobile phone operator!

Any thoughts?

--mte