List:       c-client
Subject:    RE: ssl-imap support?
From:       Mark Crispin <MRC () CAC ! Washington ! EDU>
Date:       1999-11-10 19:30:58

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 dimrub@icomverse.com wrote:
> 1. Add in the SSL support yourself. It's not an easy task, since
> you'll have to change the way c-client performes it's I/O, among other
> things.

It is not necessary to change c-client's I/O; there are abstraction layers
which make it possible to plug in other technologies without having to
modify the client or server code.

> 2. Add an external SSL proxy. There are lots of those, some free, some
> commercial. stunnel is a good start. With this solution, there's no
> need to do any coding at all.

However, this is server-only, requires an extra process, and you can't use
certain other add-ons (e.g. Kerberos) with it.

-- Mark --

* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message.          *
Science doesnot emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.