List:       c-client
Subject:    (response to message of Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:40:37 -0400)
From:       Mark Crispin <MRC () CAC ! Washington ! EDU>
Date:       1999-06-14 20:22:53

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:40:37 -0400, Steve Barber wrote:
> The only clue I have so far is a network snoop of an attempted mailbox
> compaction that failed.  I think I can post that if need be.
> First glance shows an EXPUNGE failing on a "readonly" mailbox.  I'm
> not sure I have enough context in the snoop to know which mailbox
> it's referring to.

I think that you've found the smoking gun.

I assume that you've already checked the permissions on the mailbox, and on
both /tmp and /var/tmp (these should be 1777).

There is a known bug in imap-4.5 toolkit which may be related to your problem.
The standard UNIX format of mail only permits one session at a time to access
any standard-format mailbox.  The way things are supposed to work, when a
second session opens the mailbox read-write, it kills the first session.  The
idea is that the first session is probably abandoned.

In imap-4.5, the first session keeps a lock on the mailbox, and the second
session goes read-only.  This is caused by a bug -- it is not a designed
change.

The fix to this is to upgrade to the imap-4.6.BETA.
	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap-4.6.BETA.tar.Z