List:       c-client
Subject:    How do I determine number of unseen and deleted message guickly
From:       makr () airco ! co ! jp (Mark Keasling)
Date:       1994-05-31 21:04:04

Mark,

I am trying to correct our dismal performance with the IMAP driver when
a remote mailbox contains deleted or unseen messages.  Basically,
I want to be able to get the number of unseen and deleted messages and
am not particularly interested in which ones are unseen or deleted.  These
values are used in mailbox status information and are checked very frequently.

Moving the cursor from one item to the next generates two calls to mail_search,
one to determine the number of unseen messages and another to determine
the number of undeleted messages.  When the mailbox is remote and as
long as deleted and unseen are zero, return is almost immediate; but, if
new mail arrives or messages are deleted the performance drops markedly
about to 7-8 seconds from initiation to completion.  A significant part of
that time seems to be spent in the c-client waiting for the server to respond.
What I would like to know is, is there a fast way to accurately obtain the
mailbox's deleted and unseen counts without having to use mail_search?

Mark K.