List:       c-client
Subject:    Re: Recovery options for a corrupt mbx format folder
From:       Guy Dawson <guy () crossflight ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-09-19 17:49:50

Guy Dawson wrote:

> I think I might have to get my programming head on.

I've written a program and have recovered all the messages. One of
them appears to have been split in two though!

The program uses the regex/regcomp expression matching function on UNIX
to go through the mbx format file line by line.

Each time it finds a message header of the form

11-Sep-2001 15:31:05 +0100,2476;000000000000-0001c0f1

it outputs a couple of blank lines and then a line in the form

>From MAILER-DAEMON Thu Sep 19 06:38:46 2001

followed by the email message. It continues to do this until all of the
file has been read.

A little editing to remove the odd spurious ^M character and the
result is a UNIX format mail file. This can then be converted back
into mbx format using mbxcvt.

If anyone would like a copy of the program source please email
be direct...

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson                    I.T. Manager              Crossflight Ltd
guy@crossflight.co.uk         07973  797819                01753 776104

This email contains the views and opinions of a Crossflight Limited
employee and at this stage are in no way a direct representation of
Crossflight Limited.

the system manager. To ensure the integrity and appropriate use of
its email system, Crossflight Limited reserves the right to examine
any email held on its email system or sent to or from it.

We strongly recommend that you check this email with your own virus
software as Crossflight Limited will not be held responsible for any
damage caused by viruses as a result of opening this mail.