List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: lzip support in busybox?
From:       Kang-Che Sung <explorer09 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-08-25 4:38:23

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 1:32 AM Jacob Burkholder
<jake.burkholder2@gmail.com> wrote:

> In 2012 a patch was submitted to the list about lzip support in busybox, there was \
> not much discussion about it.  I've been using the patch for some years and keep \
> porting it to new versions of busybox, just now 1.33.1.  I use a busybox based \
> linux distribution as a build environment and the patch is useful as more projects \
> distribute their source distribution as .tar.lz.  Any chance to get the latest \
> patch committed?  I can submit the patch applied to busybox 1.33.1 or 1.34.0.

If I remember correctly, the original lzip patch uses a separate LZMA
decompression code, which duplicates a lot of what xz (LZMA2)
decompression would do.
It would be better if lzip and xz share code as much as possible. It
would be bad to maintain two versions of the code for algorithms that
are mostly the same.