List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: About Bzip2 license version used for Busybox
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2021-05-28 11:54:16

On 5/27/21 10:05 AM, Amar Mhetre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We wanted to use the busybox in our product. We got the details about use of
> GPLv2 license for busybox. Our legal team also asked to have Bzip2 licence for
> using this component. We don’t know which version of Bzip2 license to be
> mentioned and its copyright, can someone please suggest how busybox.bz2 is
> compressed and which licence version is used for busybox.bz2 files?

Long ago I wrote the bunzip2 implementation used in busybox:

https://git.busybox.net/busybox/commit/?id=0d6d88a2058d

They've modified it a bit since, but there's a 0BSD licensed version of mostly
the same code available in toybox, so presumably you can use it under any
license you like?

  https://github.com/landley/toybox/blob/master/toys/other/bzcat.c

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-domain-equivalent_license

The one in busybox is GPLv2.

I note that the compression code used to _create_ an archive doesn't affect the
license of the resulting archive. (The same way compiling a program with
Microsoft's C compiler doesn't put it the resulting binary under the same
license as Microsoft's C compiler.)

Rob