List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Issue with "standalone shell" and applets not working
From:       Eli Schwartz <eschwartz () archlinux ! org>
Date:       2021-04-06 3:04:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

On 4/4/21 8:59 AM, spiral wrote:

>> What platform are you using?
> I am using Linux Mint 20.1 with gcc.
> Building it on Arch (still with gcc) worked correctly, oddly enough.
> However, I can't build busybox static with Arch since they don't
> seem to ship glibc-static. :/

Busybox static should build successfully on Arch, it just won't be 100%
static since glibc is actually a bit terrible about that. It will not
link to any other libraries, but it will warn you during the link stage
that it will be rigged up to dlopen() the libnss_* libraries.

Really, people should always do like the official Arch repos do and like
you discovered yourself, and build with a libc that is not the GNU libc.
For this purpose, I maintain both the musl libc in the official repos,
and a fairly featureful desktop-targeted busybox binary built,
statically, against that musl toolchain. Keep in mind it is always worth
comparing and contrasting how the distro is doing it!

https://busybox.net/FAQ.html#libc recommends uclibc as the favorite libc
of the busybox developers. You may acquire uclibc-ng from the AUR, but I
can't make any particular guarantees about it as I (obviously) don't use
this AUR package.

I wonder, why does the busybox website mention glibc/uclibc (and warn
you off of dietlibc or klibc!) and not musl? It seems like musl is
fairly popular for minimal systems and static distribution, moreso than
glibc certainly. It could use some mention.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]