List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: TLS Support in Busybox syslogd
From:       Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2021-03-16 19:40:29

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 6:53 PM Mike <6502cpu@gmail.com> wrote:

> No offense intended, but are you serious? The code bloat from adding tls support \
> would completely invalidate the whole purpose of using busybox in the first place.

We do have TLS code in bbox (as otherwise wget would be nearly useless
with today's prevalence of https:// URLs). Sizes:

$ size -t networking/tls*.o
   text       data        bss        dec        hex    filename
   5255          0          0       5255       1487    networking/tls.o
   2158          0          0       2158        86e    networking/tls_aes.o
    322          0          0        322        142    networking/tls_aesgcm.o
   1470          0          0       1470        5be    networking/tls_fe.o
   4753          0          0       4753       1291    networking/tls_pstm.o
    440          0          0        440        1b8
networking/tls_pstm_montgomery_reduce.o
    451          0          0        451        1c3
networking/tls_pstm_mul_comba.o
    479          0          0        479        1df
networking/tls_pstm_sqr_comba.o
    685          0          0        685        2ad    networking/tls_rsa.o
  16013          0          0      16013       3e8d    (TOTALS)

However, nobody yet bothered to adapt this code for DTLS, i.e.
for datagram sockets. (I did not even read DTLS RFCs yet...)

Another missing piece is certificate validation. IOW:
bbox can encrypt/decrypt traffic, but it can't confirm that
when you download from say "kernel.org", it really is kernel.org,
not an impostor. Adding this would be tricky, as root certificate
database is not something easily embeddable :)