List:       busybox
Subject:    Process substitution
From:       Ron Yorston <rmy () pobox ! com>
Date:       2018-11-23 13:09:03

The patch to follow adds process substitution to ash.

Some simple test cases are provided but I'm sure people are using
process substitution in much more adventurous ways than that.
It's also possible that deeply recursive shell functions will be
negatively affected.

Additional testing will be much appreciated.

I've assumed that file descriptors can be accessed via /dev/fd.  This is
certainly the case for the modern Linux, FreeBSD and Cygwin systems I've
looked at.  My non-rooted Android devices can't access /dev/fd but can
see /proc/self/fd.  It's possible to tweak platform.h to support this,
if required.  I'm not sufficiently aware of the Android BusyBox subculture
to know how this should be handled.

As well as /dev/fd and /proc/self/fd bash supports the use of named pipes.
I haven't implemented that.  Platforms that need to use named pipes will
have to set HAVE_DEV_FD to 0 and do without process substitution.

Information about any platforms that have special requirements would
likewise be appreciated.

Ron