List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: udhcpc changes in 1.25.0 that didn't seem to be mentioned?
From:       Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2017-05-26 15:22:07

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Natanael Copa <ncopa@alpinelinux.org> wrote:
> This issue is affecting Alpine Linux too. From the setup script we will
> start network in the background while user creates the root password.
> However, udhcpc will not print information on the screen about the
> lease which will overwrite the "Enter root password" prompt.
>
> I tried to redirect output to /dev/null, but this does not work since
> the information is printed to stderr.
>
> If we redirect stderr we will not be able to display any real error
> messages.
>
> I think we will have to patch busybox for Alpine to fix this, but it
> would be nice to not need maintain a fork. Are there any suggestions
> how to fix this?

I understand the problem you are facing. The tool worked okay for you
before; now it does not.

However, it worked for you "by accident". It just happened to print
some information to stdout, and some to stderr, you could suppress
stdout and it was matching what you needed on the screen
when everything was working ok (i.e. no DHCP failures).

But both outputs were logging (daemon was saying what it is doing).
Logging in general (meaning: in any daemon, not only dhcp client
daemons) is not meant to be sent to screen. "Do not disrupt
other activity on the screen" is not a consideration.

I think the general idea is that logs need to be saved and user
should be able to see them later when he needs to diagnose a problem.
Can you go down that route?

The change was made because udhcpc was the only applet which was
mixing its logging output via stdout and stderr. Moving it all
to stderr allowed to drop some unique functions in libbb.