List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: init - sysvinit vs BusyBox
From:       Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2017-03-23 17:48:12

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 9:03 PM, Shay Hofman <shay.hofman@gmail.com> wrote:
> A novice question -
>
> Is it possible to tweak and change busybox on an existing embedded device?
> To be exact I'm referring to  Dlink home router device which has a very
> limited and stripped down busybox os.
> Very few linux commands can be executed...

https://busybox.net/FAQ.html#mobile_dev_inst

I have trouble installing Busybox on my phone!

Busybox mailing list and individual developers sometimes receive
emails which ask for help with Busybox installation on their
smartphones, tablets and the like.

Please note that at the time of this writing (2013-07), Busybox
project does not provide prebuilt binary packages for any architecture
or device - it provides the source code.

If you are downloading and installing a Busybox binary onto your
device, it means that someone else made that Busybox binary. There are
a number of people who do this (for example, Aboriginal Linux).

If you are experiencing problems with installing such a binary build,
you may be better off if you contact a person or a project which
provides it, not the Busybox development mailing list or an individual
developer. The link to project website and/or an email address of the
build's author is likely to be present on the same Web page where you
downloaded the binary package.

If you still want to seek advice about your problem on the Busybox
development mailing list, please provide as much information about
your situation as possible:

    On what device you are trying to install the package?
    The URL to the place where you got the package from.
    The version of the package.
    The sequence of operations you are performing.
    What do you observe when you do that.
    In case it is not obvious from the previous description: What, in
your opinion, is not happening correctly?

Email like this: "I tried downloading applets for all version of
Busybox the problem remains consistent" will most likely be ignored,
or you will be redirected to this FAQ. (In this particular email
example, none of the above bits of information are present).