List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: getty hidden process
From:       Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-03-22 20:32:12

On 2017-03-22, Cathey, Jim <jcathey@ciena.com> wrote:
>>If you've got a command prompt, then getty isn't running -- the shell is.
>
> Yes.
>
>>If you've got a _login_ prompt, then getty is running.
>
> Close!  Getty _might_ be running, or perhaps /bin/login
> is.  Could be either, depending on how you got there.

Ah, I forgot about that.  If you're looking at the _first_ login
prompt after the motd contents, then getty is running.  If you 've
tried to login and failed, and are looking at a "retry" login prompt,
then login is running.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Like I always say
                                  at               -- nothing can beat