List:       busybox
Subject:    A good scripting language for busybox?
From:       Pavel Aronsky <pavel.aronsky () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-03-17 15:20:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Apologies for maybe a wild or off-topic question.
After dealing with quite a few products with busybox and its ash shell used
as the primary scripting language, I'd like to ask you, busybox experts:
what are alternatives?

This page: https://busybox.net/tinyutils.html  - mentions Lua and
Micro-perl. I'd rather perfer a small subset of Python, but cold not find
one after a day of googling (this is surprising. I've been sure such things
exists).

However my search hit one interesting Javascript engine named Duktape (
duktape.org).

Javascript looks almost as good as Python for me, it is popular and should
be familiar to new developers. Lua is less familiar, but much better for
writing moderately simple app logic than the *dreadful* shell language.

So the question: how feasible would be inclusion of Lua or Javascript into
BB, as option for systems where one of these languages will be heavy used?

As "plan B": has anyone seen (or thought of) a FFI interface for BB that
would allow to call shared libraries written in C, from ash?

Thanks in advance,

Pavel A.