List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: sed bug ?
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2016-11-21 21:59:16

On 11/20/2016 03:47 PM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Timo Teras <timo.teras@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The following discrepancy happens on 1.25.1 (and git master) with musl
>> c-library:
>>
>> ~ $ echo /usr/lib/ | sed 's,\(^/\|\)[^/][^/]*,..,g'
>> ../../
>>
>> ~ $ echo /usr/lib/ | busybox sed 's,\(^/\|\)[^/][^/]*,..,g'
>> /../../
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Doesn't happen with current git with glibc and uclibc.

Sounds like it was never a toybox/busybox issue, it was a libc issue.

> I did not convert yet to using musl for my static builds:
> IIRC last time I tried, the binary was bigger than one
> built against uclibc (and I had a few other minor problems).

I'm pretty happy with http://github.com/richfelker/musl-cross-make, and
am poking Rich about cutting a release with hosted cross and native
binaries you can just download, but we're both really busy at the moment.

When he does get that out, this lets me replace my Aboriginal Linux
project with a much simpler mkroot.sh script, ala
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/aboriginal-landley.net/2016-November/002591.html
(my test build scripts for musl-cross-make are attached to that message,
which are small but horrible).

I note I've been poking Rich about adding \| to musl BRE for _years_
(ala http://landley.net/hg/aboriginal/rev/5a7071eb01bb), which he
recently did (https://twitter.com/richfelker/status/699457430254649345).

Also, the bionic guys are cleaning up their Native Development Kit so
that may finally be able to provide a real bionic toolchain before too
much longer, one which does NOT require building the whole of AOSP.

For context, here's me wrestling with Android NDK a couple months back
(part of a loooong thread if you're bored):
http://lists.landley.net/htdig.cgi/toybox-landley.net/2016-August/008603.html

And the recent news that the upcoming release that might finally work:
http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2016-November/008745.html

So, fingers crossed...

Rob

(P.S. If you're curious about how the Android guys think, ala the
endless off-list systemd replacement thread, when Elliott got
interviewed on
http://androidbackstage.blogspot.com/2016/07/episode-53-adb-on-adb.html
he talked about toybox from his perspective.)