List:       busybox
Subject:    Copy (cp) and cat corrupts files on Android devices
From:       darken <darken () darken ! eu>
Date:       2016-08-04 17:45:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

Using cp or cat to transfer files on an Android device, randomly results in
file corruption.
The files are still the same size, but their md5sum is different and
comparing the as hex files shows major differences between them.

I could reproduce this on a Nexus 5 running Android 6.0.1, a Nexus 4
running Android 5.1.1, but could not reproduce it on a Nexus 9 running
Android N.

I would have assumed a memory or storage issue, possibly hardware defect,
but using toybox instead of busybox fixes this.

I could reproduce this with a selfbuild (using buildroot) busybox v1.24.2,
v1.23.2 and the armv5 busybox from busybox.net (
https://busybox.net/downloads/binaries/busybox-armv5l).

I'm currently tracking this here:
https://github.com/d4rken/sdmaid-public/issues/451
There are example logs and also a file example with the original and the
corrupted file.

Bug? Did I do something wrong?
Or a hardware issue and toybox not reproducing this is just luck?

Best regards
Matthias