List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: how to use ntp in busybox
From:       Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-11-25 19:55:15

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 02:44:14AM +0000, Wei, Catherine wrote:
> On 11/24/2015 11:54 PM, Rich Felker wrote:

> >> We use it busybox ntp for some time now, also with ntpclient since it is convenient.
> >> btw: ntpdate is removed from ntp some time ago.
> >>
> >> Why do you need a runtime configuration at all ? you can always restart with a new setup,
> >> write a small wrapper and you can use a file again.
> > Indeed, this seems ideal. Proper use of ntp only makes extremely-small
> > adjustments to the clock rate, so stopping the ntp client for a
> > fraction of a second (or even several hours) and restarting it with
> > new configuration is not going to have any noticable effect on the
> > system clock.
> >
> > Rich
>

> Hi:
>      For the question that Rich Felker mentioned "Why do I need runtime
> configuration", I would say that a wrapper of ntpd, ntpq and ntpdate
> were added in our platform which embedded to a box. Actually, when our
> platform started or some ntp server information is changed on the fly,
> we use the ntpq wrapper to disable ntpd, start ntpdate process, then
> enable ntpd again. For the other run time configuration, we need to test
> different servers with different minpoll, maxpoll etc, and try to test
> multiple ntp server and watch the behaviors of ntpd. All these have been
> designed very early in our platform.

Unless you are open to replacing that usage with something like the
following design:
(new script)
(0) set up a service that runs ntpd -q, then ntpd;

(interface design)
(1/2) modify the config file and stop ntpd,
(3) re-start the service

it will *not* be possible to use Busybox ntpd, OpenNTPD, or ntpclient.

NTPsec (gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec), a fork of NTP with a lot of code
cleanup already done, provides ntpq.
(The code cleanup involves a significant reduction in LOCs.)

chrony (chrony.tuxfamily.org), an independent implementation of NTP
client and server, provides chronyc, which is *functionally* equivalent
to ntpq.
It is not command-line equivalent.

HTH,
Isaac Dunham