List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Add a user/password interface for a Telnet and ftp connect
From:       Michael Conrad <mconrad () intellitree ! com>
Date:       2015-03-18 16:21:27

On 03/18/2015 10:50 AM, Alexis Guilloteau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Right now i can run a Telnet daemon on one of my board using the
> command "/usb/sbin/telnet -l /bin/sh" and run a ftp daemon thanks to
> inetd.conf but each of the connection are anonymous (well, it ask for
> a user name but not for a password...)
> After looking at the help of the ftpd function in busybox i know that
> the main function is to create an anonymous ftp server so i was not
> surprised with the lack but do you think there would be a solution for
> that ? I would think it would be to work into the .c file of the
> function but maybe you have another idea.
> And pretty much the same thing for telnetd. Right now the only user on
> the board is the root with no password.

If you do want any sort of security, you are better off using ssh and
sftp.  Telnet and ftp don't really offer any security even with
passwords, so there is little interest in adding support for permissions
to those applets.  The most popular ssh for embedded is 'dropbear':
https://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html

-Mike