List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Kernel Panic related to init usage????
From:       Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-03-12 18:10:00

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:51:28AM -0400, Stephen Beckwith wrote:
> Isaac,
>    Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I am a bit familiar with Linux, been doing
> work with it for 10+ years, from kernel hacking old 2.4/2.6 kernels up to
> building entire systems (but using 3rd party tools, like. . . Yucto. . . :(
> )
> No, Init is NOT copied to the RFS, as far as I can tell, the RFS ends up
> with /init -> /bin/busybox. . .

Good.

> RE: Installing BB - yes, it's a big copy loop, I'll check and research this
> in more detail. Again, this is a bit of a furball I inherited. . .    (I
> see the copies scroll by during the build).  I'll create the link to
> taskset() in this list.
> RE:  systemd - well, there's something that needs it, somewhere.  I added
> that, then got similar error about liblzma.so.  I assume systemd is
> "outside" the kernel, so no change in kernel configuration is required?  So
> it's either busy box configuration or some other "stuff" being copied over
> getting in the way (oh the joys of upgrading. . .)

systemd is outside the kernel, at least for now.

It would probably be simplest to scan the dirs in PATH for non-busybox
binaries, run "file" on them, and if they're shared ELF binaries,
run ldd on them to figure out what to copy.
( ls -l ./*bin/* ./usr/*bin/* |grep -v busybox is a good place to start.)

Eventually, it would be good to create a shell function/tool that parses the
output of ldd to figure out what to copy.

> Thanks again, your pointers are moving me down the line.  Unfortunately, I
> got preempted for other work at the moment.
> Thanks!
> Regards,
> Stephen Beckwith

Glad to be of help.