List:       busybox
Subject:    boot failures due to busybox-1.23 modprobe -a
From:       Natanael Copa <ncopa () alpinelinux ! org>
Date:       2014-12-29 13:29:03

Hi,

After upgrading to busybox-1.23 Alpine Linux boxes would no longer boot
up and gave an initramfs emergency shell.

The problem is commit 4e314faa0 (modprobe,rmmod: reject module names
with slashes) which will exit with error if module name with slash is
found.

The problem with this is that there are some module aliases from
kernel that contains slashes. dmi modules to be more exact. Since
Alpine linux searches for 'modalias' in /sys and calls modprobe -a with
all found aliases, it would stop loading modules when it came to dmi
modalias with slash. This resulted in disk controller not beeing loaded.

I added a local patch that disabled the slash check when option -a is
specified, but I think that we should not abort on slash since
modaliases can contain slashes.

I suggest that we revert 4e314faa0 (modprobe,rmmod: reject module names
with slashes)

More details in this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.alpine.devel/2790/focus=2793

-nc