List:       busybox
Subject:    RE: ftpd authentication
From:       Morten Kvistgaard <MK () pch-engineering ! dk>
Date:       2014-09-16 7:10:02

> On Monday 15 September 2014 16:34, Morten Kvistgaard wrote:
> > Hello Denys,
> >
> > I've studied the last patch you applied to ftpd.
> >
> > The patch can be fixed if you reorder the "change_identity" to beneath the
> jail.
>
> Fix in what way? What is the bug?

The bug is that if you use the authentication + chroot feature, the server will crash \
at login. (Connection closes.) The current code goes like this:

change_identity(pw);
xchroot(argv[0]);

According to doc, http://linux.die.net/man/2/chroot, only privileged processes may \
call chroot. So the crash makes sence.

> > Also the "change_identity" ought to conflict with the NOMMU jail break.
> > However a carefully placed call to "getpwuid" seems to somehow solve
> this. (wtf?) I've tested it on Ubuntu + uClinux.
>
> What is the bug?

The same issue arise when the NOMMU has to break out of jail. (chroot again.) You \
need to regain privileges before you can break out.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by CronLab
(www.cronlab.com), and is believed to be clean.