List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: mdev and post 3.6 kernels
From:       "Michael J. Hammel" <busybox () graphics-muse ! org>
Date:       2014-02-19 15:27:02

On Sat, 2014-02-08 at 18:28 -0700, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> I've been using 3.2.27 from the RPi repos with mdev and usbfs.  This
> worked fine to load drivers for wifi and webcams.  I'm trying to move to
> RPi's "3.10.y" branch.  I've found that usbfs is deprecated and now I'm
> not sure how to find the usb devices and load the drivers.  mdev doesn't
> seem to report them.  I have it log every event at boot time and the usb
> devices don't show up.
>
> Does anyone know if there are kernel config options that need to be
> enabled in 3.6+ (when usbfs was deprecated) for mdev to be notified of
> usb devices at boot time?  Or maybe suggestions on what mdev should be
> looking at to find them?  I could dig into mdev but I'm not sure where
> it should be looking for the devices.  lsusb shows them.

Just to follow up my own post.

I tried nldev as a front end to mdev on the RPi 3.10.y kernel and this
seems to work much better than mdev by itself in finding usb devices.
nldev provides helper scripts and a replacement mdev.conf that needs to
be tweaked for things like mounting the mmc's 1st partition on boot (for
example) but otherwise found my usb connected network adapter (don't
remember if it found the webcam or not - forgot to check).

I've written a package for nldev for Buildroot 2013.11.  I'll try to
port to mainline soon and submit.

nldev: http://git.r-36.net/nldev/

--
Michael J. Hammel <busybox@graphics-muse.org>