List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Cross-compilation (was: Thank you for not using autoconf)
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2013-06-12 21:20:34

On 06/12/2013 04:08:20 PM, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> I was thinking of samba when I wrote that but I note that they have
> switched from autoconf to WAF.

The Linux development world needs a shakeup, and a replacement for
configure/make/install the same way git replaced CVS. It's not just
autoconf, we need to replace make
(http://www.landley.net/writing/todo/whynotmake.html), and the install
stage needs to feed into package management in a non-horrible way.

Unfortunately, when it comes to build process we're in the "subversion!
bazaar! monotone! churches! churches! lead! lead! A DUCK!" stage of
flailing wildly about trying anything-but-CVS. We haven't even hit the
"bitkeeper/mercurial/git" stage of knowing what the new stuff should
look like before standardizing on one...

Rob