List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: lzop not widely used (was: XZ embedded bug unpacking linux-3.8.tar.xz)
From:       Harald Becker <ralda () gmx ! de>
Date:       2013-02-28 21:26:09

Hi Jody !

On 28-02-2013 12:36 Jody Bruchon <jody@jodybruchon.com> wrote:
>Actually, I use lzop extensively in my company. It is hands down the

Please do not misunderstand. I don't vote against lzop. I'm voting for
having that lzip in Busybox as another very effective compressor. I
just wanted to say lzip has it's rights like lzop, another compressor
not so widely used in Linux land ... but they are used!

>fastest compression algorithm available in BusyBox in both directions,
>and when you are more concerned with performance than compression
>ratio (but still want decent compression) lzop is a fantastic tool.
>It's the only compressor that is fast enough to squeeze additional
>bandwidth out of network links (because compression on even a slower
>modern PC is faster than the speed of a gigabit ethernet connection).
>Piping a stream through lzop (especially with the -1 switch) is
>practically free in computational terms, and nets a fair compression
>ratio.

Thx, for clarifying this. It shows that even compressors not used on
main stream may have there benefits.

>I can't be the only person who uses lzop in such a manner. Plus, on
>embedded systems, the overhead is minimal and the RAM requirement to
>use lzop is tiny (gzip is a beast by comparison), so it fits in very
>well with the spirit of BusyBox.

Do I tell you something suspicious, if I say I'm using lzop on a
regular basis for the same purpose you mentioned? My Linux kernel even
uses lzop decompression for kernel and intramfs, with noticable
faster startup :)

--
Harald