List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: coordinated compliance efforts addresses the issues of this thread
From:       "farmatito () tiscali ! it" <farmatito () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2012-10-20 20:19:23

Hi,
you are always good at making a lot of examples, so I'll do a few
to.
But first a few facts about the italian copyright law, that even if
not
born exactly for software nonetheless applies to it.
I would like
to bring to your attention a few articles of this law
as they are in
the "real" reality:

Legge 22 aprile 1941 n. 633:

Art. 3

Le opere
collettive, costituite dalla riunione di opere o di parti di opere, che
hanno carattere di creazione autonoma, come risultato della scelta e
del coordinamento ad un determinato fine letterario, scientifico
didattico, religioso, politico od artistico, quali le enciclopedie, i
dizionari, le antologie, le riviste e i giornali sono protette come
opere originali, indipendentemente e senza pregiudizio dei diritti di
autore sulle opere o sulle parti di opere di cui sono composte.

roughly translated:

Collective works made by the union of other works
or parts thereof, that have a  character of autonomous creations,
as
result of choice and coordination for a particular literary ,
scientific, didactic, religious, political or artistical purpose,
as
encyclopaedias, dictionaries, antologies or newspapers are protected as
orginal works, independently end without
prejudice of the owner's
rights of the works or parts thereof of which they are composed.

also

Art. 7

E' considerato autore dell'opera collettiva  chi  organizza e
dirige la creazione dell'opera stessa.
Author of the collective work
is who organizes and directs the creation of the collective work.

This opens up interesting questions about the ownership of the
copyright of collective works
like for example busybox or even the
linux kernel.
You the author of the single part are of course always
the copyright holder of this very single part
but the author of the
whole collective work is who organizes and directs it so in the case
of
busybox software the maintainer. This defeats your argument that it is
up to the single
authors of the code to do the enforcement as there is
at least one more party that is entitled
to do so and is entitled to do
it for the whole work.

Let us now take a look at this example of
yours:

1) Felipe (licensor) -> Omar (licensee) # Omar downloads my
source
code that is publicly available through the GPL
2)     Omar
(licensor) -> Federico (licensee) # Federico gets the same
source code,
but doesn't see the licenses (Omar removed them, and the
copyright
notices)
3)         Federico (licensor) -> Commercial entity (licensee)
# Commercial entity  gets the
source code by paying money to Federico,
which provides it with a
propriety license
4)              Commercial
entity  (licensor) -> End user (licensee) # The end user
buys a product
from Commercial entity which uses the original software, but doesn't

show any license

it is very naive for the part that concers the
commercial entity
as in most law system there are the concepts of:
1)
due diligence
2) wilful misconduct
3) worngful conduct

I also doubt
you would dare  to make the same example
if the program at stake would
be a proprietary software.
Now let us reduce and analyze the only
important step of the example:

3)         Federico (licensor) ->
Commercial entity (licensee) # Commercial entity  gets the
source code
by paying money to Federico, which provides it with a  __(FALSE)__

propriety license

The commercial entity must follow the principle of
due diligence
and have to ascertain that the source code they are
buying for their product
is legally sound  as they have the knowhow
legally and technically.
If they fail to do so it is at least a wilful
misconduct. In other words no
commercial entity whatsover will give
money to the first Federico that comes knocking
at their door without
being sure he is the author of the software being sold.
It is easy
today through the use of the internet to compare code as the open
source
code is all published.
Should the code be obfuscated it should
even more encrease the diligence to be done.
Should the commercial
entity discover the code is under the GPL and decide to continue
to buy
it or use it without paying which is surely the __MOST__ common case to
obtain
a commercial advantage upon concurrents  than it becames a
wrongful conduct.

In case of a wrongful conduct/wilful misconduct
there are third parties that are damaged
and that are entitled to start
a legal action whatever the outcome will be.
As we have seen before for
the italian law they are:

1) the author of the software (or part of
the sofware if it  is a collective work)
2) the maintainer/coordinator
of the software if it is a collective work
3) the user of the device
containing the software as he should have
    gotten a copy of the
source code but has not and was de facto deprived
    of a
good/right/privilege or however you will call it.
    The user has
suffered a damage.

The judges in the various judicial degrees will
then decide upon the matter.

Ciao,
Tito