List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Compile error for latest snapshot(20110328)
From:       Baruch Siach <baruch () tkos ! co ! il>
Date:       2011-03-30 5:01:42

Hi Ralf,

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 07:25:14PM +0200, Ralf Friedl wrote:
> >>Ok, that's a valid argument :-)
> >>
> >>Maybe #error'ing out with "your kernel headers are probably too old..."
> >>would be an option. I'll try to cook something up.
> >
> >This will only clutter code up. Think how useless such check
> >becomes in a year or two...
> >
> The embedded world can be quite stable. I use busybox on a device
> where the vendor is still at 2.6.13. At least it's no longer 2.4 ...

You can still compile Busybox using a toolchain with recent kernel header
files, and the resulting binary should still run on an old kernel just fine
(otherwise, it's probably a bug). Obviously, if you try to use an unsupported
feature (like UBI attach/detach) you'll just get a run-time error.

baruch

--
                                                     ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
   - baruch@tkos.co.il - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -