List:       busybox
Subject:    2 issues with tar
From:       Alexey Soloviev <EXT-Alexey.Soloviev () nokia ! com>
Date:       2011-02-28 8:23:25

Hello,
Met 2 problems with tar and wander if they are new or known.

Issue 1: tar doesn't restore files or directories added with relative
name starting with "../"
Scenario:
busybox tar -c -f archive.tar ../tobearchived
busybox tar -xf archive.tar
tar: name with '..' encountered: '../tobearchived'

Gnu tar removes ../ from paths of archived files and directories, while
busybox's tar doesn't.
Should it be fixed?
Note that archive created by busybox tar on the 1st step can be restored
by gnu tar but not by busybox's.

Issue 2: user name and group name in header of tar files are truncated
to 11 characters. Those fields have length of 32 bytes.
Bytes after 11th are nulls. Due to truncation there can be problems with
restoring permissions.

Seems that ENABLE_FEATURE_TAR_UNAME_GNAME doesn't have any effect.
And gnu tar doesn't show such problem.

Are these issues known?  I'd provide analysis and hopefully patch.
Can you point me to any related findings, discussion or analysis/fixes
already done if any?

Thank you.