List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: FUSE, pthread and dl
From:       Jörg Faschingbauer <joerg.faschingbauer () aon ! at>
Date:       2010-06-25 17:59:10

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 02:06 +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

> > > What do you mean by "build FUSE into Busybox"?
> >
> > FUSE (http://fuse.sourceforge.net) comes with a library which is used by
> > user space filesystems to handle /dev/fuse traffic, and a couple of
> > executables that help mount filesystems that are implemented using FUSE.
>
> What this traffic to /dev/fuse is needed for?
> I thought FUSE is a filesystem, not a library,
> that is, no wrappers aroung open/read/close needed.

Yes, kernel-wise FUSE is a filesystem. It doesn't implement anything in
the kernel - rather, it leaves that to user space. The kernel module and
user space communicate over /dev/fuse.

User space FUSE is a library and a few associated programs that
wrap /dev/fuse handling. A file system daemon links against the library,
and registers filesystem methods. See for example
http://hg.podgorny.cz/unionfs-fuse/file/2e0d3d1c9c6f/src/unionfs.c.

> > The executables are applets, and the library has to make it into Busybox
> > "somehow". FUSE will be enabled when somebody selects a FUSE filesytem
> > implementation in the config, for exampe unionfs-fuse (I'm doing all
> > this for the purpose of getting unionfs-fuse into Busybox).
>
> What unionfs-fuse does (on syscall level)?

It is yet another user of the FUSE user space library, so I suppose
open/read/write/close are the syscalls, basically.

It's just that FUSE uses dl and pthread, that's why I'm asking,
originally. I dealing with upstream FUSE to accept my patch that make dl
configurable, so that shouldn't be an issue. Not sure about pthread
though.

Joerg