List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Busybox sendmail -s
From:       Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-27 1:08:08

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 08:55, Mikko Virkkilä wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed that your commit "build system: tweak for rare case where
> include/autoconf.h does not get updated"
> http://git.busybox.net/busybox/commit/?h=1_16_stable&id=88b8f0a3475fc1f2e1b3cf58b63902551dae0169
>
> removed the -s option from busybox sendmail. Was this intentional?

Well, it is "sendmail: update by Vladimir".

Build system tweak is a tiny unrelated change at the end.

> I just noticed this as I was updating my system and suddenly my scripts
> stopped working. Any chance of restoring this option?

This happened because I prodded Vladimir to not all more and more
busybox-specific options to sendmail, but try to keep it
compatible to "usual" sendmail options (not an easy task).

I googled "man sendmail" and none of those ages mention -s option.

Since I do not use these utils much, I generally trust what Vladimir
does there. When he decided to actually remove all those options
which were added, I did not object, as they weren't the for long.
(I am CCing him on this mail.)

My understanding that you need to use some other program to create
the email headers and body, and use sendmail *only for sending it* -
sendmail will not edit it (by inserting headers).

You can just add the "Subject: foo" line via shell scripting
or whatever other method. If you need to do something more complex,
there are two tools for creating or parsing emails:

# busybox makemime --help
BusyBox v1.16.0 (2010-01-26 07:47:42 CET) multi-call binary.

Usage: makemime [OPTIONS] [FILE]...

Create multipart MIME-encoded message from FILEs

        -o FILE Output. Default: stdout
        -a HDR  Add header. Examples:
                "From: user@host.org", "Date: `date -R`"
        -c CT   Content type. Default: text/plain
        -C CS   Charset. Default: us-ascii

Other options are silently ignored

# busybox reformime --help
BusyBox v1.16.0 (2010-01-26 07:47:42 CET) multi-call binary.

Usage: reformime [OPTIONS] [FILE]...

Parse MIME-encoded message

        -x prefix       Extract content of MIME sections to files
        -X prog [args]  Filter content of MIME sections through prog.
                        Must be the last option

Other options are silently ignored

--
vda