List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: quick config question
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2010-04-27 4:49:25

On Monday 26 April 2010 07:29:28 Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Christopher Barry
>
> <christopher.barry@rackwareinc.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 00:03 -0400, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

> >> It enables init applet.
> >
> > so to have my init script be run, I'm guessing I can either:
> >
> > 1. rebuild BB with that disabled, or
> > 2. delete the /sbin/init symlink
> >
> > and my /init script will be run instead. Is that correct?
>
> I am not sure. You omitted a lot of context in your question.
> What /init script? When do you want it to be run?
> Why it does not run now? etc...

Busybox and initramfs are unrelated.  Initramfs is a kernel thing.  When your
kernel extracts initramfs, it checks for an executable file named "init" at the
top level directory in the initramfs.  If it finds it, it tries to execute it.
If the exec works, then no further setup is done and that task is PID 1.  if
the exec doesn't work it falls back to the normal "find where root= points to,
mount that, chroot into it, and look in a half-dozen places init might be"
dance.

You can override which filename initramfs looks for with the
"rdinit=/something/else" kernel command line option.

The init you tell it to run can be a busybox applet.  Or it can be a shell
script.  It's just an executable to launch PID 1 with.

Rob