List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: New subscription, first test
From:       Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-02-27 18:38:40

On Thursday 18 February 2010 07:41, Harald Becker wrote:
> - loadfont/setfont: Support for PSF2 console fonts. Currently only PSF1
> fonts are supported, which disables the usage of larger or smaller
> console fonts (with width other than 8 pixels) like Terminus 20x10 or
> 24x12. [Status: PSF2 works currently on my system BB 1.16.0, needs only
> some work to allow selectively enable/disable the extended font support
> via configuration menu]

Applied.

> - beep: Alternate and extended command syntax to have the ability to
> play several tones more easily including phaser style effects. The
> configuration menu allows selection of the old or new style and enables
> or disables the phaser effect [Status: Works, needs only generation of
> patch for current snapshot]

NAKed on the grounds that it seems to be a featuritis.

> - ipcalc (and others): There are several applets that accept IP
> addresses as arguments. Some applets (like ipcalc) only accept numerical
> addresses and don't lookup the host address. To add this lookup support,
> I suggest the creation of a libbb function which converts and optionally
> looks up the address (gethostbyname). All applets should use this
> library function to get the IP address. Optionally the function can
> handle IPv6 addresses. A configuration menu option could enable or
> disable the lookup feature globally. [Status: Request for discussion, I
> am willing to do the work and provide patches, including other applets]

We seem to already have it:   host2sockaddr("host[:port]", port_no)
and   host_and_af2sockaddr("host[:port]", port_no, AF_INET[6])
in case you need to restrict yourself to a single AF.

Most applets already use those and as a result, are IPv6 enabled.

Those which still use gethostbyname are still IPv4 limited:
mount: uses crazy libc RPC code.
hostname: perhaps can be converted?

Use gethostbyname indirectly: route, arp.
They do it in somewhat convoluted manner, making conversion hard.

--
vda