List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: klogd and kernel symbols
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2010-02-14 9:32:25

On Saturday 13 February 2010 05:22:46 Sasha Sirotkin wrote:
> It is my impression that busybox klogd has no functionality to decode
> addresses from kernel oops messages into symbol names. Is this correct?

The kernel's been doing its own symbol decoding for years now when you enable
CONFIG_KALLSYMS.  (In fact, you have to select CONFIG_EMBEDDED to be able to
turn it _off_.)  Thus ksymoops has been deprecated for quite some time.

Rusty Russell introduced it as part of his module rewrite in 2002:

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=d069cf94ca2

Andrew Morton made it default to "on" in 2003:

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=33c59f10405afdc8

And the kernel documentation was updated to deprecate the userspace oops
decoder back in 2005:

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=62a07e6e9e93e

Rob