List:       busybox
Subject:    mdev messages differs between startup and hotplug
From:       "M. Frey" <m.frey () avelon-cetex ! com>
Date:       2010-01-26 18:01:22

Hi,

I'm using mdev to populate the /dev/ nodes. There's one special thing in
my set-up: The embedded system boots, mdev -s runs, the USB bus gets
powered and the plugged in devices gets created by mdev hotplugg scripts.

Now I noticed, that the there are two different "mdev messages".

The mdev message at startup provides much less information about the
device than the mdev hotplug message does during normal operation.

The following shell script gets called by mdev and logs two different
messages:
#!/bin/sh
logger "Mdev $ACTION event for $PHYSDEVDRIVER @ $MDEV"

Log with mdev -s at start-up :
Mdev add event for  @ ttyUSB7

Log if the device gets plugged in hot:
Mdev add event for  @ ttyUSB7
Mdev add event for mct_u232 @ ttyUSB7

If mdev -s is used, a lot of environmental variables such as
$PHYSDEVDRIVER are missing.

If plugged hot, mdev fires the specified script twice. At first with
only the $MDEV variable loaded. Second with all information available.

What's the reason behind this?

How can I get the "full story" already at start-up with mdev -s?

If I activate USB bus power already at start up, does I have to catch
the information about the $PHYSDEVDRIVER from the /sys/ fs?

Thanks for any suggestions. regards

maurus