List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: /etc/inittab usage chagned?
From:       Yan Seiner <yan () seiner ! com>
Date:       2009-12-18 12:36:14

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Yan Seiner <yan@seiner.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an older embedded box running busybox 1.4.2.  This inittab file
>> correctly launches both openvpn and rsync.
>>
>> ::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS S boot
>> ::shutdown:/etc/init.d/rcS K stop
>> tts/0::askfirst:/bin/ash --login
>> ttyS0::askfirst:/bin/ash --login
>> tty1::askfirst:/bin/ash --login
>> ::respawn:/usr/sbin/openvpn --writepid /var/run/openvpn.server.pid --config
>> /etc/openvpn/client.conf
>> ::respawn:/usr/bin/rsync --daemon --no-detach
>>
>> However, on a newer 1.14.2 busybox, neither of the "respawn" items gets
>> launched.  Has something changed?
>>

> Try narrowing it down. Does 1.14.4 work? (Unlikely, but why not do
> a quick test, right?) Does 1.15.3 work?
>

>> I've tried a couple of other test cases, and nothing tagged "respawn" gets
>> run.
>>
>> What am I missing?

I think I tracked it down.  The device boots from a jffs in ROM.  During
the boot process, it creates a copy of the rootfs in RAM.  When I make
changes to /etc/inittab, I am changing the copy in RAM.  The device uses
symlinks and such to keep track of changes.  But init starts before the
rootfs is copied, so it never sees my changes.  This is a recent change
in how openwrt boots; I haven't had time to go through the process but
it doesn't look like it's anything busybox related.

I'm off on vacation today, so it'll be a while before I can look at the
init code and see how it's interacting with the latest openwrt boot process.

--

   o__