List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: ifplugd
From:       "Piotr Grudzinski" <piotr () powersmiths ! com>
Date:       2009-08-27 14:58:18

>> > Running busybox ver. 1.15.0
>> >
>> > I have expected the ifplugd applet to detect if/when my Ethernet
>> > cable is plugged and unplugged. Here is my command line:
>> >
>> > # ifplugd -a -n -i eth0 -p -m i &
>> >
>> > My action script - /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action - is never called
>> > when network cable is plugged or unplugged. But it is executed when
>> > is call: ifconfig eth0 up (or down).
>> >
>> > What should be the expected behaviour of ifplugd applet?
>>
>> -m MODE         API mode (mii, priv, ethtool, wlan, auto)
>>
>> Why do you use "-m i"?

I am running busybox on a small uClinux embedded system. On this system,
ifplugd
without -m option or '-m a' or '-m i' show the same result. And according to
ifplugd.c
'i' is for API_IFF.

/ # ifplugd -a -n -i eth0 -p
ifplugd(eth0): using IFF_RUNNING detection mode
ifplugd(eth0): link is down

>> I tried the same command without forcing the method,
>> and it worked for me:
>
> Additionally, there is always the possibility of the NIC driver not
> implementing the common APIs for link detection correctly...

I'm afraid the problem might be in the ethernet driver for _my_ custom soc.

Best Regards,
Piotr