List:       busybox
Subject:    RE: Howto redirect serial console
From:       "Dach Miroslaw" <miroslaw.dach () psi ! ch>
Date:       2009-06-22 10:52:30

Hi Matthew,

>Could you not setup different run levels? The default run level could
>use the serial port for console (which runs getty on it). You could have
>another init level setup that doesn't have getty running on the serial
>port. Switch between the run levels via init #. Or you could not have
>init handle starting getty on the serial port. Instead, you could have a
>boot script start getty but then you kill it when you want to use it for
>something else.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I use standard busybox init which does not use runlevels. getty is not started on the
serial console. When I type ps I get the following:
  PID USER       VSZ STAT COMMAND
    1 root      1812 S    init
    2 root         0 SW   [keventd]
    3 root         0 SWN  [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
    4 root         0 SW   [kswapd]
    5 root         0 SW   [bdflush]
    6 root         0 SW   [kupdated]
    7 root         0 SW   [mtdblockd]
   14 root      1804 S    klogd
   70 root         0 SW   [rpciod]
   73 root      1832 S    udhcpc -i eth1 -p /etc/udhcpc/udhcpc-eth1.pid -s /usr
   76 root      1808 S    /usr/sbin/inetd
   77 root      1816 S    /bin/sh
   79 root      1808 R    ps

When I type cat /proc/tty/drivers I get as following:
serial               /dev/cua        5   64-65 serial:callout
serial               /dev/ttyS       4   64-65 serial
pty_slave            /dev/pts      136   0-255 pty:slave
pty_master           /dev/ptm      128   0-255 pty:master
pty_slave            /dev/ttyp       3   0-255 pty:slave
pty_master           /dev/pty        2   0-255 pty:master
/dev/ptmx            /dev/ptmx       5       2 system
/dev/console         /dev/console    5       1 system:console
/dev/tty             /dev/tty        5       0 system:/dev/tty

It is somehow interesting to see:
/dev/console         /dev/console    5       1 system:console

My /dev/console has however major and minor numbers the same
as /dev/ttyS0:
/dev/ttyS0 4 64

When I use the command setconsole:
setconsole /dev/ttyS0 #I get no error first time
setconsole /dev/ttyS0 #when I type it 2nd .... times I get
                      -> setconsole: ioctl 0x80047478 failed: Device or resource busy

I have spent some time to search on the net for the solution and still without any success.

Any suggestion?

Best Regards

Mirek