List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Help with Busybox on ARM board
From:       walter harms <wharms () bfs ! de>
Date:       2009-01-27 16:08:07

Amandeep Bhullar schrieb:
> Hello All,
>
> I am running busybox on an Atmel AT91SAM9263 Evaluation kit. Perhaps
> because it is minimum version, I can not execute executable files. And
> also, I installed arm-linux-g++-4.1 on it and when I run this command it
> says it could not be found even though typing arm and pushing tab does
> bring up the command indicating the command is in the PATH. Anyways, I
> decided to put a more fuller configuration of Busybox on the kit. These
> are the steps I am following.
>
> 1. I am using Ubuntu in a VMplayer on a Pentium machine. I downloaded
> Busybox file "busybox-1.13.2.tar" on the VMPlayer running Ubuntu.
> 2. tar xvf busybox-1.13.2.tar
> 3. cd busybox-1.13.2
> 4. Because I want to run Busybox on an ARM based board, i changed
> .config file this this folder. I changed
> CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILER_PREFIX="arm-linux-". I have arm-linux-gcc installed.
> 5. Next I run "make defconfig" and "make" command.
>
> I am not sure what to do next. After make command; I see two files in
> the folder : busybox and busybox-unstripped. When I give command "file
> busybox" it tells me it is an ELF 32 bit LSB executable, Intel 80386.
> Should not it show it as ARM file because i changed the CROSS_COMPILE
> option?
>
> Please tell me what to do next ! Every help will be deeply appreciated.
>
> Aman.

Hi Aman,
1. please read the documentation more corefully
if you are a developer make yourself comfortable with make,gcc,gdb and friends

there is no need to change .config
use "make menuconfig" to select the settings and programms you need.
"make defconfig" is a first step but you should check for yourself.

after you ran make you will find busybox and busybox-unstripped.
use file to learn
 file busybox
busybox: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked \
(uses shared libs), stripped

file busybox_unstripped
busybox_unstripped: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), \
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

unstripped means it will contain debuginformation that will be helpful when using gdb \
(man gdb)

to run an applet use
./busybox ls

of cause this i only for testing, you will use the install script to setup a list of \
links so you can programms as on every other unix environment.

to make things more easy for you start with you host system (most likely i586) and \
try to understand the busybox. AND then move to a cross compile environment. The \
point of using linux is that you can ran the same environment (here busybox) on your \
desktop computer AND you embedded system.

here you can buy the kit with full linux support:
 http://www.emlix.com/bsp-at91sam9263-eval-base.html

re,
 wh

ps: