List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: sv
From:       Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-31 21:27:30

On Sunday 31 August 2008 18:37, Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
> The problem is that one has to keep SVDIR specified either at startup
> (profile, no matter) or at every invocation of sv. The latter is a
> pain if in interactive use...

I didn't realize sv even *has* a default directory! But it does:

services consists of one or more arguments, each argument naming a directory
service used by runsv(8). If service doesn't start with a dot or slash,
it is searched in the default services directory /var/service/, otherwise
relative to the current directory.

Well, this immediately provides you with an alternative:
just use full directory name or cd to your servoce directory
and use "sv <cmd> ./<service_name>".

Another option would be to remove default directory altogether.
IOW: "sv <cmd> <service_name>" would mean "do <cmd> on a directory
<service_name> in the current directory". I like it, the only downside
is that we lose compatibility with Pape's sv. Do you think
this is an important consideration?

> Thus, a configuration parameter is useful. As, e.g. we do with
> modutils modules.dep...

I see the usefulness, yes, but I also see a downside.
Having it configurable means that you cannot know beforehand
whaty is the default directory in some custom built busybox binary.
--
vda