List:       busybox
Subject:    replacing udev with mdev
From:       Natanael Copa <natanael.copa () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-21 15:56:15

Hi,

I have been using mdev some years now and i really likes it. I run
kernel module loading by simply find /sys -name modalias and modprobe
the contents.

In a recent kernel upgrade (from 2.6.23 to 2.6.24) I noticed that all
network interfaces were renumbered. Now, that is not acceptable for my
alpine distro and I need to do something about it.

Udev solves this my let you specify the interface name for each mac
address. This is out of scope of mdev's job.

What would be the proper solution? I was thinking mdev could either exec
another app if there are no DEV, or even better, create a daemon that
listens to hotplug events via netlink and then fork()/exec() /dev stuff.

What do you think?

-nc