List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Some patchs
From:       Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-28 21:55:11

On Saturday 28 June 2008 14:06, Pascal Bellard wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 June 2008 16:17, Pascal Bellard wrote:
> >> New feature: stat -m displays file map
> >> http://hg.slitaz.org/wok/raw-file/be0892d9efd5/busybox/stuff/busybox-1.11.0-stat.u
> >
> > Does this mimic GNU stat?
>
> No. We use it to create grub conf files and boot into an iso image.
> May be usefull to find badblocks in files too.

I find it neat (and I learned about FIBMAP!), but probably no.

Sorry, I think we need to generally resist adding features
to existing tools. Keeping up with featuritis outbreaks
in "standard" tools we emulate is difficult enough :)

I also found some comments from Alan Cox that FIBMAP
is not that good an interface. block# can fail to fit into int.
Some FSes have tail merging and they don't even _have_
block number for the file tail, what to do there?

Let's wait while folks sort it out.
--
vda