List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [patch] cope with buggy dhcp servers
From:       Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-25 3:15:55

On Saturday 24 November 2007 16:21, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> > I changed the default from 0 to 300, it doesn't seem to have any effect
> > on code size:
>
> That should not be necessary.  0 shuld be fine in most cases.

Well it is necessary for that buggy router,
and maybe some other routers as well.

What is better - to have "RFC-compliant" dhcp client
which doesn't work for some (admittedly buggy) servers
or a slightly relaxed one which works with them?

I prefer to have latter. Otherwise we'll have more unhappy users,
and many of them won't even go that far and figure out
that the server is buggy, not bbox dhcp client.

Espacially that it has no effect on code size at all and only
small additional stack consumption for dhcp applets?

(I decreased the default to 80)

> > $ make bloatcheck
> > function                                             old     new   delta
> >----- (add/remove: 0/0 grow/shrink: 0/0 up/down: 0/0)
> > Total: 0 bytes text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
> >  776551     929    9100  786580   c0094 busybox_old
> >  776551     929    9100  786580   c0094 busybox_unstripped
> >
> > Please test whether patch works for you.
>
> I'll do that as soon as possible.  I have to get my hands on one of those
> routers.
>
> This comment:
>
> +            maximum size of entire IP packet, and sends packets which are
> +            268 bytes too large.
>
> does not seem to match the real behaviour.  The packet size difference
> is _exactly_ 28 bytes:
>
> I: sizeof(struct struct dhcpMessage): 548
> I: sizeof(struct iphdr): 20
> I: sizeof(struct udphdr): 8
> I: sizeof(struct udp_dhcp_packet): 576
>
> It looks like they confuse the dhcpMessage and udp_dhcp_packet sizes.

Fixed that bit of help text.

> There also seems to be whitespace damage in Config.in (plain space
> characters instead of 'TAB, space, space' in your patch).

Fixed.

I applied the patch, thanks!
--
vda