List:       busybox
Subject:    fdisk with big disks (was Re: 1.7.0 is out)
From:       Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-25 18:37:22

On Saturday 25 August 2007 14:58, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> >> No, the build fails if LFS is not enabled (my uClibc does not have
> >> lseek64). Attached patch fixes the problem.
> >
> >But we need to seek past 2 GB there. 2 GB is too small even for USB sticks
>
> No, we don't. LFS is turned off, so we *know* that we only support <2GB.
>
> >these days. People who don't need to support media > 2GB probably don't
> >compile in fdisk anyway ==> people who do compile in fdisk mosk likely
> >_do_ want to handle media > 2 GB.
>
> Of course i want to use fdisk on my 1GB block-device and of course i
> don't use LFS on it (nor NFS or any other networked filesystem since i'd
> have LFS on for those anyway).
>
> >Does your uclibc have _any_ means of doing that seek? _llseek?
>
> No, because i (the user) turned LFS off explicitely.

Please see:

http://bugs.busybox.net/view.php?id=1333

The problem is that CONFIG_LFS are too coarse. It's possible
(and I'd say "typical") that people turn off LFS, but want
*some* utilities to be special. Come on, admit that < 2 GB disk
size is a real limitation.

The solution is simple: introduce CONFIG_FEATURE_FDISK_LFS
which overrides CONFIG_LFS just for fdisk.

This way you *and* submitter of bug 1333 will be happy.
--
vda