List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: PATCH: udhcpd "option domain" multiple values
From:       "Jason Schoon" <floydpink () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-01-30 20:58:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 1/30/07, Gabriel L. Somlo <somlo@cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 09:06:14PM -0600, Jason Schoon wrote:
> > Great idea, but if you need this functionality you should add support to
> > udhcp for option 119, specified in RFC3397.  This is the exact problem
> that
> > was solved by that new option.
>
> And what to do about all the (pre isc 3.1.0) clients that just dump the
> content of option 15 into the search string ? :)
>
> Cheers,
> Gabriel

They still will.  Or they will disregard the option entirely.  They will not
have your patch, so they will not be expecting to receive multiple strings
in a single field.  They will be expecting this field to contain a single
domain value.

I agree, it sucks that the initial implementation didn't consider this, but
that's the exact problem that caused Stuart Cheshire to propose this new
option to DHCP.

A similar problem is coming to a head regarding receiving time zone offsets
via DHCP...