List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Telnetd not working
From:       Bennett Todd <bet () rahul ! net>
Date:       2006-11-20 17:41:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

2006-11-20T12:30:10 Jakob Engblom:
> The problem was a misconfigured system on my ramdisk image.
> Probably not news to anyone experienced with Linux & Busybox, but
> I document it here anyways for googlers to find if they have the
> same problem:

I've not found a good source of documentation for that sort of
environmental prerequisites for various daemons. In big-system
packaging (like you'd expect for a horkin' big daemon like apache
or openssh) this makes sense, they should expect the whole of the
LSB or whatever it's called these days. But embedded systems are
different, built up from zero rather than starting from the whole
universe already in place. It'd be nice if e.g. each daemon in
busybox (and other sources of daemons targetted at embedded use)
clearly documented every requirement. That doesn't seem to happen.
And here I am, failing to volunteer to read the code and write docs.
I'm awful, contemptable, beneath contempt even.

Anyway, I've found a couple of things helpful.

A lot of daemons will syslog something that gives a hint about what
they're peeved at; starting up syslogd helps. I like the way
busybox's syslogd will log at the console if /var/log isn't
available, most kind.

And I keep a statically linked strace convenient to hand, syscall
failures shortly before daemon exit often explain what's making it
unhappy.

-Bennett