List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: busybox 1.1.3 - fork on nommu
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2006-10-26 21:37:02

On Thursday 26 October 2006 3:38 pm, Rick Garcia wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > I was trying to switch all uses of fork over to vfork.  (In toybox, I'm
trying
> > to use vfork for everything from day 1.  So far I have exactly one usage,
and
> > it's vfork().)
>
> Is toybox available in any form for download?

Not entirely on topic for this list, and what's up has been described
as "embryonic" at best, but you can do a mercurial fetch via, um, "ht clone
static-http://landley.net/code/toybox" I think.  And then just "make".  There
are hooks for a config system, but the values are hardwired until I dredge
menuconfig out of the kernel.

I suppose I could put up a tarball, but it doesn't do anything interesting
yet.  (Then again, neither did linux-0.0.1 for most people.  But Linus spent
three solid months on that and it did work for him.)

> >> I mean, I don't expect every developer out there to bow down before the
> >> requirements of a system without a memory manager, but it would make
> >> busybox a much more flexible and attractive package if it addressed the
> >> issue directly.
> >
> > It was a todo item of mine.  And it's a ground-up design goal of toybox.
>
> I've been thinking about just taking ash or lash and banging on them
> until they're in a nommu-friendly state of mind.

Feel free.

> I don't think it's
> really possible to SOLVE the problem (kinda stretches across
> kernel->uClibc->apps...)

It's possible to work well on a nommu system without harming with-mmu systems.

> , but a shell which was specifically coded for
> nommu systems would go a long way towards side-stepping the issue;

The current toysh is equivalent to the bbsh code that went into busybox, only
for the different architecture.  It works, for what it's worth.  Doesn't do
anythign interesting yet. :)

> then
> the kernel could handle the rest.  I noticed a few emails regarding a
> bbsh which might be appropriate for this... has any work been done on
> that anywhere?  And if so, where can I download it? :)

I was the one doing that, and current svn does have a "shell/bbsh.c" that you
can build with scripts/individual or by hacking it into the makefile
yourself.  I'd recommend removing that because I'm not doing any more work on
the busybox version, I'm doing work on toysh now.

> > Still need to find a toolchain for the thing though, and figure out how to
> > re-flash it.  It's sitting on the couch, in a box, under a cat.  (Her name
is
> > George.)
>
> :) sorry... can't help with that.  I'm working on m68knommu... I should
> be getting a coldfire board in a few days that I can play with, so I'm
> should be able to check that I'm not breaking any cpu32 stuff.

It came with some documentation I've glanced at but need to read more
thoroughly...

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery