List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: I'd like to be a tester of busybox
From:       Paul Fox <pgf () brightstareng ! com>
Date:       2006-10-26 17:03:31

rob wrote:
 > On Wednesday 25 October 2006 9:07 pm, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
 > > On Wednesday 25 October 2006 03:33, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > >  > If you are desktop guy - try to replace as much of desktop tools
 > > >  > with relevant busybox applets as practical. Expect some breakage.
 > > >  > For example: ls -i is not supported.
 > > >
 > > > i really can't agree with this advice.  not if you're a serious
 > > > developer, and your desktop is important to you.  the utilities
 > > > in busybox just aren't ready for prime time, in my opinion.  (and
 > >
 > > They will be never ready if we will not try.
 >
 > I've been dogfooding this thing in Firmware Linux on and off since 2003.  It
 > sucks _much_ less than it did back then. :)

oh, certainly!  again, i'm not saying busybox isn't an amazingly
capable piece of work.  all i'm saying is that i'm not sure i'd
advise a newcomer to the list to replace all of their desktop
utilities with it, right off the bat.  if denis had said "replace
the desktop utilities with busybox in a test environment", then
i'd never have written.

paul