List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Updating busybox config/build system to match current
From:       Sam Ravnborg <sam () ravnborg ! org>
Date:       2006-08-31 21:36:35

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 05:21:10PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:

> > How much effort is need to be able to claim copyright and to
> > decide for a wider license when in-kernel?
>
> Rewriting it from scratch, more or less.
>
> The problem is it doesn't work that way.  You can't add stuff to remove a
> copyright, you have to remove stuff to remove a copyright.
For the parts of the kbuild I have in mind there is no-one who has
explicit claimed copyright - but by contributing some may have it implicit.

> As a copyright holder, you can issue another license to your contributions at
> will (just give people permission), but your permission grant doesn't apply
> to other people's copyrights.
>
> > In my personal opinion I have no problems changing from GPLv2 to something
> > a bit broader if that can help other users.
>
> We have no intention of dropping GPLv2.  The question is should we drop GPLv3?

I was no specific here. "a bit broader" referred to "GPLv2 or later".

Let's end it here anyway.

It's much more interesting to see the final result of vda's patches.

	Sam