List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Problem with dynamically linked BB
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2006-07-31 19:00:06

On Thursday 27 July 2006 6:40 am, Marc Bodmer wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have the following problem with busybox-1.2.0 on an mpc8xx (ppc)
> target:
>
> When I choose not to statically link BB (CONFIG_STATIC=n):
>
> - The kernel (2.4.4) starts up but as soon as /sbin/init is called the
> system hangs.

Wow, I remember that kernel.  I could drive that sucker into a swap thrashing
frenzy so bad that it would still be paralyzed by swapping when I came back
from lunch.

> - There is no output from BB, the last output from the kernel is:
>   Freeing unused kernel momory: 40k init

And the FAQ says to try a "hello world" program as init.

http://www.busybox.net/FAQ.html#init

> When I statically link BB (CONFIG_STATIC=y):

If that makes a difference, then it's 95% likely that either your toolchain or
your shared library setup is broken.

Rob