List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: Modprobe bugs
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2006-06-27 17:38:40

On Monday 26 June 2006 5:10 pm, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:03:34PM +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> >>tested them here, and consider them fixed. I still want the reporters to
> >>confirm fixes before actually closing the reports.
>
> Worthwile goal, but it seems that folks seldomely reply to bugtracker
> stuff. I've added a note which asks them to holler if something is still
> amiss and did close all of them out, meanwhile.

My general theory about the bug tracker is that if we solve the problem they
reported, we close it.  If they have a new problem, they can open a new bug.

One problem Red Hat's old bugzilla used to have was "feature creep" bugs.
Bugs with more and more symptoms attached, generally by multiple reporters
who had similar problems.  This meant you'd have a bug report with multiple
underlying causes, and after a few months they'd get to the point where you
could never close them because it would say something incredibly vague
like "software suspend doesn't work on some machines", which is probably
always going to be the case no matter what you fix.

What I learned from this is that if your X doesn't work, and we find and fix
the bug you were hitting, then the fact that your X still doesn't work is a
new bug.  We still close the old one, you can always open a new one.

Rob