List:       busybox
Subject:    Re: The getopt long thing breaks the tree.
From:       Rob Landley <rob () landley ! net>
Date:       2006-05-31 21:27:58

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 10:32 am, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> >1) there are options like --color for ls or --Istdin in hdparm (maybe
> > others!?) that have no short option, so these options are lost.
>
> Right.

The easy fix is to add our own short option if anybody complains.

> >Maybe at this point it would be easier to drop long option support at all,
> >at least the design would be clearer.................
>
> That is one possibility, yes. Go ask the maintainer ;)

The maintainer is currently thinking that littering the code with #ifdefs like
the recent longopt changes did was a bad thing, and that it should have been
OBVIOUS it was a bad thing, but that nobody thought about it.

The maintainer also thinks that non-linux platforms should never take up more
than 20% of his time dealing with busybox, but that all he's been hearing
about recently is people trying to make busybox work on Tru64 and MacOS X and
strange things they wrote themselves and requesting huge architectural
changes for personal reasons.  The maintainer is starting to believe he
opened a pandora's box that should be closed again with a CHAINSAW,
especially since there are dozens of accumulated changes that went into the
tree while he was distracted many of which are CRAP.

The maintainer is also hot and tired and in Pittsburgh, where central air
conditioning is apparently considered optional.  This makes the maintainer
cranky.

> What i, personally, care about is standard compliance; There simply is no
> such thing like getopt_long nor "struct option".  See
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/getopt.html

There's no such thing as mount in the darn standard either.  You should stop
using it immediately.

Rob